[syslinux] change SERIAL baudrate as-needed?

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 03:19:19 PDT 2015

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 9:53 AM, Steve Rikli via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

> As OP, different pools of systems running at different console speeds
> by necessity, is my application.
>
> Sounds like this may be a workable solution.  I was envisioning having
> to chain a separate pxelinux.0 kernel with new SERIAL parameters to
> deal with the different speeds.  This sounds somewhat more tidy.

Why not just automatically set SERIAL once to the right speed?  Can
you distinguish between old 9600 clients and new 115200 clients by
system UUID, MAC address or IP prefix?  If not, perhaps an if*.c32
moddule (existing or custom)?  Adding UUIDs one at a time (even by
symlink) could be very tedious for many boot clients although perhaps
worthwhile since you're reconfiguring a terminal server (likely also
by hand).

Your current solution would require that you boot with the terminal
server at 9600, manually use a menu to select a new CONFIG (which
changes to 115200), then manually change the terminal server to 115200
and force a screen redraw.  With this, the second menu would probably
be better off not loaded automatically as I can't find any way to
force menu.c32 to perform a screen redraw.  The closest to this would
be a sleep.c32 which would be near trivial for me write and would
sleep for 25 seconds then execute "menu-label" when called as the
following:

    sleep.c32 25 menu-label

Changing serial rates or performing a capture of sorts (packet,
screen, etc) are probably the only use cases I could think of for it.

--
-Gene