[syslinux] EFI: HP + syslinux = crash

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 05:42:44 PDT 2015

 >> I see. From an EFI point of view you have 4 NICs
 > I've still seen firmwares that allow me to disable those NIC ports
 > individually, though it was buried inside another menu.

 I did find a menu where I could adjust a lot of parameters per port, but
 I could not find a way to disable individual ports.

 By the way, I'm booting from the first port. I also tried
 booting from  the last port, with the same results.

 > Sent privately.
 >
 > Side note: sounds like there's yet other negative build interactions around.

 Maybe, but your binaries also crashed in the
 same way. I'll attach a  "script" log of the IPMI session. In
 the tftpd logs I can see it loaded  everything up to bootlogo.png. Just like my own
 build of e466d24.

<<<

I think we solved a bug but we found a new one.
AFAIK you were not able to retrieve anything after loading syslinux.efi
Now you retrieve ldlinux.e32, libcom32.c32, etc but it crashes when loading a png.
If this is the case then the multi-nic issue is solved; the new code is able to
find the NIC that booted syslinux.efi and then uses that NIC to retrieve the rest of files.

 The frustrating thing for me now, is that I still don't know
 how far into the boot process it got. The 'AslInformation' that keeps
 reappearing in the stack traces doesn't say me a lot. Is it doing
 something ACPI related? How come the previous build also crashed in the
 same way without loading even ldlinux.e64?
 Could it be a display  initialization routine that causes the crashes?
<<<

I do not think the code does anything ACPI related.
I would not pay much attention to the "reported" location of the crash.
"bad opcode sounds" like compiler issue...

At this point the only choice I see is printing to console messages and
narrow down the problem location. Tough.

Best,
Patrick