[syslinux] EFI: HP + syslinux = crash

Oscar Roozen oscar.roozen at brightcomputing.com
Tue Aug 4 06:42:54 PDT 2015

On 04-08-15 14:42, Patrick Masotta wrote:
> I think we solved a bug but we found a new one.
> AFAIK you were not able to retrieve anything after loading syslinux.efi
> Now you retrieve ldlinux.e32, libcom32.c32, etc but it crashes when loading a png.
> If this is the case then the multi-nic issue is solved; the new code is able to
> find the NIC that booted syslinux.efi and then uses that NIC to retrieve the rest of files.

That's the good news indeed! ;-)

> I do not think the code does anything ACPI related.
> I would not pay much attention to the "reported" location of the crash.
> "bad opcode sounds" like compiler issue...

Well.. it _could_ be something, but it could also be the cause of some
code overwriting a return address or whatever.

> At this point the only choice I see is printing to console messages and
> narrow down the problem location. Tough.

Right now I found that the *last* message printed before crashing is
coming from efi_vesacon_set_mode in efi/vesa.c, which returns
successfully. At the moment I'm searching who's calling this function.
It looks like efi/main.c triggers something by calling
syslinux_register_efi() but something else is the one that executes the
firmware->vesa->set_mode(). I'm adding debug statements as we speak...