[syslinux] EFI: HP + syslinux = crash

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 4 19:17:41 PDT 2015

> I was using 'vesamenu.c32' to display a menu. Changing this to
> 'menu.c32' resulted in a booting system! Okay, the menu is not that
> beautiful, but the system boots very well right now.
>
> Now... why is vesamenu.c32 crashing like it does now? Why is the version
> I tried without Gene's latest patches crashing before even beginning to
> load the first stage: ldlinux.e64?
>
> I'll investigate a bit further tomorrow.

I think you were "hinted" about this before. Unfortunately, different
people define "boot" in different ways.

The good news is that the recent patches for the multi-nic branch seem
to be doing their work for your hardware / firmware.

The not-so-good "news" is that, considering that vesamenu.c32 has
several problems (under UEFI), the reasons for your latest crashes
would need more specific (detailed) investigations and reports (as
opposed to "failed to boot").

Things that come to mind: the space-like character issues (whether
SYSAPPEND is being used or not), additional building interactions (gcc,
gnu-efi...), the output console (length of the command, keyboard
issues...), screen resolution supported by your / the UEFI firmware,
and more.

Regards,
Ady.