[syslinux] EFI: HP + syslinux = crash

Oscar Roozen oscar.roozen at brightcomputing.com
Wed Aug 5 04:39:36 PDT 2015

On 05-08-15 02:27, Gene Cumm wrote:
>> tried without Gene's latest patches crashing before even beginning to load
>> the first stage: ldlinux.e64?
>
> It _probably_ had issues finding the NIC properly.

Of course, and your latest patches solved this problem. But I should
have been more clear. What happened was:

1 - HP ROM FW: Download syslinux.efi
2 - HP ROM FW: Run syslinux.efi
3 - Syslinux: Try to download ldlinux.e64
4 - *CRASH*

Now it is:

1 - HP ROM FW: Download syslinux.efi
2 - HP ROM FW: Run syslinux.efi
3 - Syslinux: Try to download ldlinux.e64
4 - Syslinux: Invoke ldlinux.e64
     [...]
5 - Syslinux: Try to run vesamenu.c32
6 - *CRASH*

In both cases *CRASH* can either be a spontanious reboot or one of a
selection of Exceptions reported in red on black. Due to the randomness
of the crashes my bet would be on an overwritten return address or
longjmp address somewhere.

In both cases there should be some error message or an exit back to the
firmware bootloader indicating a failure to startup.

So, while the multinic issue is solved (thanks!!!), there still is
something wrong. And it could be the same issue in both cases.