[syslinux] EFI: HP + syslinux = crash [ brown paper bag update ]

Oscar Roozen oscar.roozen at brightcomputing.com
Wed Aug 5 10:25:11 PDT 2015

Update:

I added my debugging stuff (just a bunch of Print()s and dprintf()s) to
the branch without the multinic fix to see if I could find a common
cause somewhere. This is based on commit 8702009f.

Where I expected the machine to crash again, it just exited back to the
bootloader without crashing. So.. somehow adding this debug code solved
the crashing problem? Or did it?

Then I went back to the latest branch (e466d249) and lo and behold...
It did not crash! Not even with the vesamenu.c32! The same binary!

Okay, vesamenu.c32 is still crashing if I enable the bootlogo.png but
otherwise it seems pretty stable..

What on earth could have 'cured' my machine?

[ some time later ]

I probably messed up in copying over libutil.c32 and libcom32.c32 along
with the various versions of syslinux.efi.

I'm still not sure what I did exactly everytime, so I will do more
tests. But this could really be very embarrassing...

I will wear a brown paper bag over my head for a while.