[syslinux] EFI: HP + syslinux = crash

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 6 20:56:59 PDT 2015

> For a KISS troubleshooting, *all* the c32 files should be located
> together, in the root of the filesystem, where syslinux.efi and
> ldlinux.e64 (for EFI x86_64) should be located too.

I should clarify, just in case. In my previous email, when I mentioned
"all" the c32 files, I actually meant all the c32 files that pertain to
the adequate firmware's architecture.

If we are talking about UEFI x86_64, then the c32 files are all those
located under the "efi64" directory tree of the Syslinux build. Plus,
the relevant "ldlinux.*" core module.

I am clarifying (or attempting to) my prior statements about "all" the
c32 files because of some recurrent problems:

_ mixing files from different builds;

_ mixing c32 files from one firmware's architecture (BIOS, EFI32,
EFI64) with another;

_ not having all the required library modules in the right place.

These are the reasons for a frequent request: add some kind of
"version" ID to each and all c32 files in some "standard" way.

One reason to recommend the root directory as the "installation"
directory for the bootloader (and its core "ldlinux" module) file(s)
and the modules at this stage of testing is to avoid (or rather
workaround) any potential "path" troubles; relevant for the
configuration file content, actual location of files, filesystem
support, the PATH directive (which is still in need to be patched, see
bugzilla) and, of course, KISS.

Regards,
Ady.