[syslinux] EFI: HP + syslinux = crash

Oscar Roozen oscar.roozen at brightcomputing.com
Fri Aug 7 04:05:58 PDT 2015

On 07-08-15 05:56, Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> If we are talking about UEFI x86_64, then the c32 files are all those
> located under the "efi64" directory tree of the Syslinux build. Plus,
> the relevant "ldlinux.*" core module.

I wonder why ldlinux.c32 got renamed to ldlinux.e64 whereas all other
modules remained their c32 extension. This confused me as a beginner.

> _ mixing c32 files from one firmware's architecture (BIOS, EFI32,
> EFI64) with another;

Does EFI32 exist out there in the real world?  Is it the same as EBC
(EFI Byte Code) I see in the RFC for architecture 0x7?

Right now I just feed EFI64 to both 0x7 and 0x9 architectures because of
the dhcpv6 spec mixup, but this is probably not safe in the future.

For now it works, because the HP is EFI64 and advertises as 0x7.

> _ not having all the required library modules in the right place.

Which should result in an explanatory error message anyway.

> These are the reasons for a frequent request: add some kind of
> "version" ID to each and all c32 files in some "standard" way.

Seconded! ;-)

Also, an e32 or e64 extension will also help keeping conflicting modules
apart.