[syslinux] Aside comments WAS:EFI: HP + syslinux = crash

Oscar Roozen oscar.roozen at brightcomputing.com
Fri Aug 7 07:21:26 PDT 2015

On 07-08-15 14:23, Ady via Syslinux wrote:
>> I wonder why ldlinux.c32 got renamed to ldlinux.e64 whereas all other
>> modules remained their c32 extension. This confused me as a beginner.
> Oh no, not again! I am... hmm... bored(?) with this question.

Uhm, oh, ok. Sorry.. ;-)

> because you don't want to
> have to re-write the current configuration files

Good point. And the rest too.

> Unfortunately, web search engines treat this official Syslinux Mailing
> List as "dead" or "closed" or "inactive", or simply ignore it, since
> October 2012. In spite of this, _some_ posts are still being "found" by
> popular web search engines, most probably because they are referenced
> in some other mailing list, forum posts, blog... somewhere that is
> being accepted / cached by these search engines.

Because there are no google ads on these pages? Nah.. maybe someone
lurking around has more experience on how to lure search engines.

> EFI32 does exist; most known ones (from a recent "era") are some
> (many?) tablet-like PCs.

And do they also advertise themselves as 0x7? Or is EFI Byte Code a byte
code that just "happens" to be exactly the same as i386 code?

Otherwise I would expect them to advertise 0x6 which is EFI IA32.

> Or, simply, copy over all the c32 files from the relevant architecture
> the same build.

It helped to be a bit more careful when doing this. It put me (and the
list) on the wrong track for a while. But see my mail in the 'brown
paper bag' thread for some preliminary conclusions.

> I am just taking the opportunity to remind HPA and GeneC about it :).

:-)