[syslinux] [PULL 0/8] MultiFS suppport for BIOS and EFI

Paulo Alcantara pcacjr at zytor.com
Mon Aug 10 07:45:02 PDT 2015

Ady, Peter, et al.

On Fri, July 24, 2015 5:28 pm, Ady via Syslinux wrote:

>> On 07/23/2015 02:09 PM, Raphael S Carvalho via Syslinux wrote:
>> >>
>> > My sincere opinion is to apply this patchset as-is, and incrementally
>> > improve multifs. Lack of alternatives (additional features) *should
>> not* be
>> > a reason to block this patchset. Again, I really think that this
>> patchset
>> > should be applied unless a technical reason, e.g. some deficiency
>> > introduced by one of the patches, says otherwise. HPA, what do you
>> think?
>> >

>> Step 1 is to commit it on a branch.
>>
>> 	-hpa
>>

> Without _a lot_ of testing, applying the patch "as-is" is not the best
> first step, IMHO. A separated branch sounds at least more reasonable in
> comparison.
>
> Additionally, the patch set seems to affect more-than-just-an-isolated
> file / feature, which means that incorporating other patches (still
> pending, or future ones) based on the current stable 6.03 would be more
> difficult, generally speaking.
>
> One important matter to consider is the syntax (i.e. users). A future
> discussion / email would sound something as "we already introduced a
> certain syntax for 'hd' and 'partitions', so now we are having troubles
> with supporting additional nomenclatures". Examples are: using space
> character(s) as alternative to the suggested comma (as chain.c32), or
> using labels and/or UUIDs (as chain.c32). Once a certain syntax is
> established for final users, improvements are more difficult if they
> are not considered in advance.
>
> I understand the desire of adding the multifs feature. I fear that
> (other) pending issues / regressions will be kept alive "forever".
>
> BTW, having a branch with this patch set "as-is" would mean propagating
> (even more) the unnecessary "fancy" forms of the term, instead of plain
> "multifs". Please, please, KISS, "multifs".

Raphael and I we're planning to integrate syntax used by chain.c32 module
to support UUIDs, labels, MBR ids, GPT partition's GUIDs, etc. as we get
some free time to do so.

We've already pushed out a few patches on top this one that fix EFI
support to correctly handle partitions outside the disk where Syslinux was
installed in, and renaming of "MultiFS" to "multifs".

There's also a branch where all multifs work is being done at:
git://git.zytor.com/users/pcacjr.syslinux multifs-for-upstream

(So, please, ignore this pull request)

Thanks,

Paulo

--