[syslinux] What about other patches? WAS: EFI: HP + syslinux = crash [ brown paper bag update ]

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 10 18:22:53 PDT 2015

> For me this has a very low priority, as the jpg workaround is just fine.

Well, vesamenu.c32 under UEFI, although "almost needed", it is already
behaving in a crappy manner anyway :(.

(Reminder, FWIW, PNG is non-patented, loss-less and popular.)

With so many regressions and features not working (in vesamenu under
UEFI), I have "suggested" in past months / emails that perhaps it might
need to (or should?) be reviewed altogether (maybe even improving it
for BIOS too ;).

In the meantime, perhaps some suggested patches (regarding other
issues) might deserve some attention / not-so-low priority? Recent
examples:

_ com32: write_sectors fixes
 http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2015-August/023962.html

_ efi: leaving long mode in kernel_jump routine
 http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2015-August/023911.html

(Somewhat self-centered, but not so much: I would also like to see the
initial patches from Patrick about the CLI and lss16 being taken by
someone so to improve them, after 3 years of patiently waiting.)

To be clear, I do not know their effects nor whether they are correct,
needed, useful, convenient, positive... I am just hoping for them not
to be ignored / left as "lost" in the mailing list.

TIA,
Ady.