[syslinux] [syslinux:master] efi/pxe: Reuse handle

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 14 05:47:27 PDT 2015

> Today there are certain PCs i.e Elitebook 2560p, Elitebook 8460p that with
> updated FW ""to the last known version"" cannot PXE boot syslinux for the
> above mentioned reasons.
>
> We have already talked about this with Gene an there's an strategy for making
> syslinux able to deal with these "weirdo" FWs.
> It's just a matter of time for coding it.
>
> Best,
> Patrick

Lack of time for coding has been an issue for The Syslinux Project for
some time. Already-proposed patches (regarding a wide range of issues)
have been "waiting" for some feedback / action for some long time.

Crazy concept: HP (among others) could actually improve their firmware,
reducing the amount of "workarounds" needed to be programed in Syslinux
(or in any bootloader in general), and such improvements could perhaps
see their way into the "Linux" category of downloads in the HP support
website (meaning, HP could test their firmware to be compatible with
Syslinux and with non-Windows OSes). If the HP firmware could be made
(more) compliant with UEFI specs, or if it could be improved and still
be compliant with UEFI specs, wouldn't that be helpful to everyone
involved?

Well, as I said, crazy concept :D.

At this point, I can only hope.

Regards,