[syslinux] [syslinux:master] efi/pxe: Reuse handle

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 09:32:45 PDT 2015

 As stated before,
 it is my understanding that the Elitebook 2560p/8460p devices _are_compliant_ with
 UEFI-2.0 which stated to use an SNP directly under PXEBC while UEFI-2.1 stated to use a MNP
 directly under the PXEBC.  Please don't call these devices non-compliant UNLESS you
 are more specific.
 <<<

Hi Gene,
you could be right; the problem is that HP (and others)
in general do not say the version of UEFI their FWs are compliant with.
I think I can say today they are not compliant because the last
FW revision for i.e. 8460p was released 31 Mar 2015; if you are right
and they were initially based on UEFI 2.0 shouldn't they update
to newer UEFI versions?? UEFI 2.0 is almost 10 years old !

 Another solution that I'm not sure if anyone has tried with
 these devices that are UEFI-2.0-compliant and UEFI-2.1-noncompliant is using
 iPXE to stack ontop of the underlying firmware to run Syslinux.
<<<<

# grep  EFI_UDP4_SERVICE_BINDING_PROTOCOL_GUID ./ -r
over iPXE source didn't show iPXE installing the missing Service Binding
protocols then syslinux.efi will fail at the same place when trying to find
the missing SB.

Best,
Patrick