[syslinux] Acoustic boot-menu?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 19 10:32:35 PDT 2015

> Hello,
>
> I have a couple of headless workstations where it should be possible to boot
> different OS-kernels.
>
> Currently I use "MENU IMMEDIATE" and hotkeys which work fine.
>
> However I do not really know when the boot sequence has reached the menu for
> this purpose it would be nice to to ring a bell.
>
> Any hint how to do this?
>
> Sven

This may or may not work (also, depending on version, so YMMV).

In your cfg:

DISPLAY boot.msg

The DISPLAY directive should "show" the content of boot.msg immediately
when Syslinux boots.

In the boot.msg file, use the ASCII 7 code:
 http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Config#Beep

Other options in boot.msg might be convenient too.

Remainder: lss16 background images are not working since v.5+.

Regards,
Ady.