[syslinux] HP EFI binaries

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 28 02:07:40 PDT 2015

>   If searching for:
>
>  83F01464-99BD-45E5-B383AF6305D8E9E6
>
>  you might possibly need to search instead for:
>
>  83F01464-99BD-45E5-B383-AF6305D8E9E6
>
>  or even for:
>
>  83f01464-99bd-45e5-b383-af6305d8e9e6
>
>  <<<
>
> Hi Ady,
> Those GUIDs are just the text representation
> of a 16 byte hexadecimal number. The format/case
> in this context does not really matter.
>
> Best,
> Patrick

Sure.

Note that I started that email with "FWIW" (plus a link to a blog
post).

In any case, I tend to think that using some kind of "common" way /
"format" to refer to these (EFI_GUID) hex values might be helpful, if
not for searching information, then at least for easier readability.

After all, computers understand "ones and zeroes"... Well, actually,
electric charges, but we are not going to be writing here in such
scheme / format unless really really really needed :D.

More on topic, lately it seems we should always start and end all the
emails in this Syslinux mailing list with something about updating the
firmware before even starting troubleshooting procedures; another
symptom showing that if a specification has 1600+ pages (and counting,
and with enough typos / changes / errors still around) then it will
most probably generate enough problems / misinterpretations / buggy
implementations.

Anyway, apologies for the off-topic.

Regards,
Ady.