[syslinux] Trouble with Ubuntu 15.10 / syslinux 6.03

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 18:01:13 PST 2015

> As mentioned by Ady, a previous occurrence of this bug has been
> reported in ubuntu: same error, same ubuntu version, same usage.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1499746
> It seems to be marked "fix released". So I guess you may just upgrade to fix it.

Nah, it is just marked as "duplicate". As I said, there are several
"reports" about this "Boot error" message in Ubuntu 15.10, but no
package maintainer(s).

> And the discussion on the syslinux ML about it:
> http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2015-November/024539.html

But nothing specific there, until and unless a package maintainer would
care to follow this upstream project, or at least to get in touch with
upstream Syslinux (by means of this Syslinux Mailing List).

Some reports were already opened by then, and they still have the same
status.

The only way to stop this useless amounts of reports is for someone
from the Ubuntu QA Team to actually _do_ something about it: either to
update from "3:6.03+dfsg-8ubuntu2" to "3:6.03+dfsg-11" (i.e. building
with gcc 4.9) or by picking up the same upstream commits as Fedora 23
does (we could help with that too, if someone in Ubuntu would care).
Good luck with that.

Regards,
Ady.