[syslinux] syslinux 6.03 bug related to rev shadow and scroll bar with vshift

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 18:46:43 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Emilio Lazo Zaia via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> I thought I've found three bugs on syslinux 6.03:

Just to be clear, is this only affecting vesamenu.c32?

> (1) With sample config file as is, i.e. leaving commented MENU VSHIFT and
> MENU COLOR UNSEL but uncommented MENU COLOR SEL:
>
> A black "border" is displayed below the selected line and on its right edge.

I'm not sure this is a bug but an intended effect since you're not
touching the shadowing.  Try none.

> (2) Uncommenting MENU COLOR UNSEL:
>
> This effect appears also on separators and on right edge on every unselected
> lines.

Same.

> (3) Uncommenting MENU VSHIFT line, unrelated to previous behavior:
>
> The scroll bar is not shown correctly... It behaves the same as if no VSHIFT
> were specified, so it is "hidden" on the first page because the menu has
> vertical shift, and the second page shows only two scroll characters but on
> first lines instead of at bottom of the menu.

This one feels like a bug in calculating the top location to place the
scrollbar.  When you hit the bottom of the list, regardless of if you
set MENU VSHIFT, it ends at the exact same position.  Fiddling with
all of the variables, it doesn't seem like it can be fixed/worked
around.

> syslinux.cfg file:
>
> PATH /boot/syslinux/modules/bios
> UI vesamenu.c32
> # MENU VSHIFT 10
> MENU COLOR SEL          * #FFFFD600 #00000000 *
> # MENU COLOR UNSEL        * #FFFFFFFF #00000000 rev
>
> LABEL XXXXX
> MENU LABEL XXXXX
> COM32 chain.c32
> APPEND XXXX
>
> LABEL XXXXX
> MENU LABEL XXXXX
> COM32 chain.c32
> APPEND XXXX

For any other situation, repeating LABELs would be an absolutely
horrible idea and even here I'd suggest against it.  Here's a better
idea:

PATH /boot/syslinux/modules/bios
UI vesamenu.c32
# MENU VSHIFT 10
MENU COLOR SEL          * #FFFFD600 #00000000 *
# MENU COLOR UNSEL        * #FFFFFFFF #00000000 rev

LABEL hda1
MENU LABEL hda1
COM32 chain.c32
APPEND hda1