[syslinux] Problems with EFI PXE boot on Hp DL380p Gen9

Holger Baust holger.baust at freenet.ag
Thu Feb 5 15:08:58 PST 2015

Hello...

Am 05.02.15 um 23:33 schrieb Geert Stappers via Syslinux:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 07:02:07PM +0100, Holger Baust wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> We are using pxelinux for years to boot Linux via PXE since years.
>> Since EFI is spreading, I changed configuration to be able to boot EFI
>> systems.
>>
>> The "Client":
>> - HP Proliant DL380Gen9 System FW: 1.21 11/03/2014, latest available
>> - NIC used for booting: HP Embedded LOM 331i (Broadcom BCM 5719/ tg3),
>> FW: 5719-v1.38
>>
>> The Server:
>> - ISC-DHCP with tfpd-hpa running on Debian 6.x
>> - syslinux 6.03, all files taken from this official binary distribution
>> from kernel.org
>> - different directories for bios / efi x64 and efi ia32 and all binaries
>> are in their correct directory
>>
>> Remark:
>> Using a VM Version 9 on ESXi 5.5 with EFI boot as client runs perfect.
>> Using PXE on BIOS machines works without problems.
>>
>> The Problem:
>> - Proliant tries to boot via PXE.
>> - NIC FW displays Params it got via DHCP:
>>     Station IP Address is 192.168.111.172
>>
>>     Server IP Address is  192.168.111.1
>>     NBP filename is /efi64/bootx64.efi
>>     NBP filesize is 199952 bytes
>>    Downloading NBP file ...
>>
>>     NBP file downloaded successfully.
>> Getting chached packet
>> My IP is 0.0.0.0
>> core_udp_sendto: stalling on configure with no mapping
>> core_udp_sendto: stalling on configure with no mapping
>> core_udp_sendto: stalling on configure with no mapping
>> core_udp_sendto: stalling on configure with no mapping
>>
>> I think, bootx64.efi aka syslinux.efi is fetched and startet, but it
>> does not get the IP
>> correctly from a cached packet. Perhaps it should be possible to do an
>> additional DHCP
>> request syslinux.efi thinks the local IP is 0.0.0.0?
>>
>> A pcap from tcpdump is attached.
> Nice capture!
thx.
> ( I think it is made at the TFTP server )
Sure.

> In packet number 8 from the PCAP-file is the "DHCP Request"
>
> In packet number 9 is an ARP Request ( who has 192.168.111.1 tell 192.168.111.172 )
>
> In packet #10 the ARP Reply.
>
> In #11 starts the TFTP of /efi64/bootx64.efi, that ends at #290.
>
> In #291, #292 and #293 is .1 asking for .172
>

>> Any suggestion / hint ?
> The (IMHO) missing information is the "DHCP Acknowledge"
> that should have been between package #8 and #9.
>
> Capture that missing package. It should be "visible" at the DHCP server

Hmm.. This might be difficult. tftpd and dhcp are on the same system.
If there was one, this should have been captured.
There are a lot of clients behind this system so getting the right
filter syntax
might be difficult.

This Problem seems to be on all HP Proliant DL380Gen9 and DL360Gen9
which have in fact the same systemboard.

MfG / regards,
Holger Baust

--
freenet Datenkommunikations GmbH
Ein Unternehmen der freenet Group

Tel.: +49 (0) 211 53087 519
Fax: +49 (0) 211 5381573
Mobil: +49 (0) 170 4930127

holger.baust at freenet.ag
www.freenet.de
mobil.freenet.de
www.mobilcom-debitel.de

Geschäftsführung: Andreas Jürgensen, Dr. Frank Rüders
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
HRB 88147, Amtsgericht Hamburg