[syslinux] regression: relocatable kernels on a chromebook

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 6 08:50:24 PST 2015

> On Fri, 6 Feb 2015, Ady wrote:
> > But if we are talking about Chromebooks with SeaBIOS, are we talking
> > about booting kernels in CSM mode? Or in UEFI mode?
> >
> > Other than Chromebooks with (stock) SeaBIOS, is this new reported
> > behavior also seen under other cases / hardware / firmware / kernels
> > (versions)?
>
> Hi Ady,
>
> With a clone of the git repo on kernel.org I run
> make spotless bios; make bios
> ./bios/extlinux/extlinux -i {target mounted partition}
>
> The extlinux partition contains both kernels, ldlinux.sys, ldlinux.c32 and
> extlinux.conf, which is
> PROMPT 1
> LABEL 1
>   LINUX {relocatable vmlinuz}
>   APPEND root={target partition}
> LABEL 2
>   LINUX {nonrelocatable vmlinuz}
>   APPEND root={target partition}
>
> I've heard that the SeaBIOS on these machines may report an incorrect
> amount of memory, requiring (at least older versions of) syslinux to
> use/pass "mem=1500m" or some such on the APPEND line for some linux iso
> installers. As shown above, this does not affect the regression test, but
> that's not to say any incorrect report from the SeaBIOS is not involved.
> Also, I don't know if other hardware is affected.
>
> Thanks,
> Scot

So we are talking about CSM then.

Is this behavior replicable with the official upstream binaries already
included in the official archives located in kernel.org? I mean, not
from git and not issuing any 'make', just using the binaries already
included in the official upstream archives version 6.03, "as-is".

Testing with public popular kernels that are known to work (so to
compare the behavior) might be useful too, but I don't know of any
particular kernels to suggest for such tests.

I know that for EFISTUB, the kernel config should include:

CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=y
CONFIG_EFI=y
CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y
CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y

For UEFI ia32 firmware, it should be possible (in theory, and if I
understand correctly) to use 32 bit Syslinux to load a 64 bit kernel,
as long as the latter has CONFIG_EFI_MIXED enabled.

We have seen reports of failure to boot relocatable kernels when they
are not built using also (some of) the other config settings.

Even when we are now talking about booting in CSM mode, perhaps the
relocatable kernel needs all these config settings so to be bootable by
current Syslinux 6.03?

If this were to be the case, then, again, Syslinux would need to
(re-)implement "fallback" methods for {non,}relocatable kernels
(whether booting them in UEFI or in CSM/BIOS mode). This, of course, is
up to Peter (hpa) and contributors. Patches are welcome :).

Could you please test / confirm this situation?

TIA,
Ady.