[syslinux] isohybrid and ISO images whose size is not a multiple of 2048 bytes vs. VirtualBox

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 14:49:59 PST 2015

> Hi,
>
> it would be interesting to know for what solution
> TAILS decides and whether any problems arise with it.

> On with the fundamental discussion of MBR cylinders:
>
> Ady wrote:
> > 1_ The resulting ISO9660 file system size shall be a multiple of 2048
> > (bytes_per_sector).
>
> The known ISO production programs comply to this condition.
> (Theoretically there could be other block sizes between
>  512 byte and 64 KiB. But 2048 is the address granularity
>  of optical media and so no other block sizes have been seen
>  yet.)
>

> > 2_ The resulting size of the isohybrid image shall be a multiple of
> > 2048 bytes.
> > 3_ The resulting partition size should better match the end of a
> > complete cylinder (the latter is the value to be calculated and
> > optimized).
>
> Would #3 allow that the ISO image file size is larger than
> the partition size ? Like the result of the truncate
> workaround ?
>

> > If the amount of cylinders would be a multiple of 2048,
>
> You mean the size of a single cylinder, i assume.
>
> > we would achieve #1 and #2 (and then #3),
>
> If the ISO image file shall end exactly at the partition
> end, then #2 and #3 go together if and only if the cylinder
> size is a multiple of 2048, which is equivalent to the
> product of -h and -s being divisible by 4.
>

> > but not always #4.
> > [...hopping back ...]
> > 4_ The additional zero-padding tail (so to match the calculated
> > complete cylinder and partition size) should be as minimal as possible.
>
> It is determined by the remaining space up to the next
> cylinder end.
>
> There are only 2 exp 14 possible cylinder sizes of wich
> only 2 exp 12 = 4096 are divisible by 2048. So this invites
> brute force. :))
> I.e. try all cylinder sizes which are larger than or equal
> to (ISObytesize / 1024) and memorize the one with the least
> waste. (The loop(s) can end prematurely if waste 0 is
> found.)
>

> > 6_ The resulting size of the isohybrid image should better be a
> > multiple of 1MiB.
>
> I am not sure whether this can be deduced from the
> traditions. We only know that a cylinder size of exactly
> 1 MiB gives much hope for success.
> But i understand that TAILS ISO production uses
> -h 255 -s 63 because the ISO grew above 1024 MiB.
> So cylinder size 1 MiB is not suitable.
>

> > 7_ The starting absolute offset of the resulting partition should
> > better be a multiple of 4KiB.
>
> This one is new to me.
> What can possibly happen if it is not fulfilled ?
>
> Well, isohybrid MBR partition 1 has to begin at LBA 0
> in order to make it mountable, unless the ISO was
> produced by xorriso with -partition_offset to create
> a suitable second superblock and file tree.
> The advisable -partition_offset is 16 * 2 KiB.
>
> So the 4 KiB condition is more or less always fulfilled
> [...]

Hi Thomas,

I could try to reply to all your comments -- whether my replies would
actually help / solve / answer the issues, that's another question :)
--, but I fear we would get slightly off-topic. Although it is all
somewhat related to isohybrid, I'd like to focus first on improving the
current algorithm in such a way that the resulting isohybrid image size
will always be a multiple of 2048 bytes.

You previously suggested to:
 "Use a cylinder size in bytes which is divisible by 2048"
but that method could produce a size bigger than really necessary.
Moreover, applying such calculation for smaller images (which might or
might not use 255/63 geometry) would probably be considered
unacceptable by some users.

So, instead of immediately making such a big jump (in the resulting
size), I am suggesting to repeat (loop) the calculation (please do not
interpret the following pseudo-code as actual functions / operations in
C, it is not):

Cylinders=
  trunc(roundup( ISO_size / (Heads * Sectors_per_track * 512))

where 'ISO_size' is the size, in bytes, of the input ISO image.

 (Note: roundup(n.0) = n)

With this first-attempt value, calculate the potential resulting
isohybrid image size. Is it a multiple of 2048 bytes?

If the potential resulting isohybrid image size is a multiple of 2048
bytes, continue. If it is not, then add '1' to the potential Cylinders
value.

Repeat the check for the new potential resulting isohybrid image size.
If the input ISO image size was adequate (e.g was itself a multiple of
2048 bytes), then this loop would be performed a maximum of 4 times.

The final value of Cylinders and the final size of the resulting
isohybrid image would still need to comply with any other conditions
already present in the isohybrid source code.

With this suggestion, I am not interfering with any additional checks
or current conditions. My only intention with this suggestion is to
make the resulting isohybrid image size a multiple of 2048 bytes, while
minimizing the additional zero-padding (and respecting the '-h and '-s'
parameters introduced by the user).

Now, let's assume we take your prior suggestions (instead of the
above):

A_ "Pad up to multiple of 2048 bytes (e.g. by truncate)": this
alternative might influence some other condition that is already
present in the isohybrid tools.

B_ "Use a cylinder size in bytes which is divisible by 2048": this
alternative would generate a bigger isohybrid image (comparing to my
above suggestion) in many of the potential cases.

I hope I am making sense. I wish I could express my suggestion more
accordingly to the actual code in isohybrid.c (or in the perl script).
Since I lack the necessary knowledge, I am trying to present at least
the corresponding logic.

If I am not mistaken, I guess the basic logic of my suggestion would
translate to:

1_ Calculate a potential Cylinders value;
2_ Calculate 'Cylinders * Heads * Sectors_per_track';
3._ Is the result of the previous step #2 a multiple of '4'?
3.a_ If it is, continue;
3.b_ If it is not, then add '1' to the attempted Cylinders value and
loop.
4_ Other conditions and logic already present in the isohybrid source
code still apply (e.g. the Cylinders value for the partition table
might be different than the one calculated after the above loop; the
input ISO image size shall be a multiple of 2048 bytes...).

Regards,
Ady.