[syslinux] isohybrid and ISO images whose size is not a multiple of 2048 bytes vs. VirtualBox

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 20 00:36:00 PST 2015

> Same result as yours.
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

I was under the impression (apparently the wrong one) that your
pseudo-code was adding 4 cylinders to the first example, from 132 to
136, which would be non-optimal. Since I am not a developer, I believe
you when you say that such jump won't happen :). Perhaps the code will
be more clear to me when I'll see it included in isohybrid.c (and/or in
the Perl variant).

I understand the math. Your code is focused on the valid values for the
amount of cylinders, and my focus was on the padding ranges. Of course
they are equivalent.

Now, I have a question:  what about the "offset" parameter? How it
modifies our assumptions and calculations if the "offset" parameter is
not zero?

For example, in isohybrid.c I see:
 660:     psize = c * head * sector - offset;
and
 1135:	psize = isosize / 512;

among others. There are partial equivalents in the Perl variant.

Since I am not a developer, I am not really asking about the code. My
interest is about how the "partition offset" parameter ([0, 64]) could
affect the optimization we have been discussing.

Regards,
Ady.