[syslinux] isohybrid and ISO images whose size is not a multiple of 2048 bytes vs. VirtualBox

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 20 10:49:51 PST 2015

> Just a small correction:

> > > Yes, but slightly misleading. For example, the "16MB average" is
> > > relevant for 255/63.
> >
> > We advise two geometries: -h 63 -s 32 and -h 255 -s 63.
> > isohybrid behavior with the first one will not be changed.
> > With the second one it would waste 16 MB in average.

The 255/63 geometry is indeed very relevant. I was just pointing out
that the "average of almost 16MB of waste" is slightly misleading
because "average" would suggest to users that it accounts for every
potential case (maybe even including other geometries). This is not the
case; that average is just for 255/63 (and ISO size > 1GiB).

> The average waste in the second case is just under 12 MiB.  If
> you assume random distribution of ISO sizes, you have to pad by
> 0, 1, 2, or 3 cylinders with equal probability.  That averages
> to 1.5 cylinders, or 12,337,920 bytes, which is just under 12 MiB.

The potential padding (waste) for a geometry of 255/63 (and ISO size
bigger than 1 1GiB) goes from 0 bytes up to '4*255*63*512-2048' bytes.
Whether we classify / divide the padding area in cylinders or using any
other measurement unit, it doesn't change the range of bytes.

In any case, isohybrid already has some zero-padding. We are not adding
32MB (max), nor 16MiB in average to the current (as of 6.03) already
present waste. We _might_ be adding, in total, *up to* 32MB in certain
cases, where the input ISO size is at least 1GiB.

I don't like waste. I don't like bloat. I don't like "all-in-one". But,
if I were a distro maintainer releasing 1GiB+ ISO images, I'd rather
have it "simply working" (for dummies), instead of having a "known
issues: it might not work as virtual optical media" messages.

There is a cost to isohybrid (in comparison to common ISO images).
There is a cost already (as of 6.03). There is a potential additional
(differential) cost if this patch is used by default. The potential
differential cost is around %1 (in order of magnitude). The total cost
of isohybrid (not just because of this patch, but about any isohybrid)
_might_ be around %2 in some cases.

I would tend to think that most distro maintainers would rather pay the
cost, for common users and beta testers sake. That's just my _guess_
and there is no way to prove it, nor the opposite.

Having a test from TAILS would be nice and appreciated.

Regards,
Ady.