[syslinux] PXE Booting EFI

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 09:00:23 PST 2015

> I'm testing syslinux PXE EFI boot with VMware workstation 9.04 running
> on Windows 8.1
>
> VMware correctly performs the DHCP request indicating either
> the "EFI IA32" or "EFI BC" architecture and the TFTP server
> correctly sends back w/o error the "corresponding" syslinux.efi
> "EFI BC" -> EFI64\syslinux.efi
> "EFI IA32"-> EFI32\syslinux.efi
>
> but it always hangs w/o requesting any other transfer,
> I also tested using VMware 11 same results.
>
> any idea?
> Thanks

 ***
FWIW, I still cannot reply to emails sent to the Mailing List when the
original sender comes from yahoo (the whole dmarc issue). I am manually
circumventing the problem this time, but I wish subscribers would
consider not using yahoo email addresses for this Mailing List.
 ***

In some cases, when the adequate ldlinux.{c32,e32,e64} is not found,
the behavior might seem as if there is no additional (re)action (i.e. a
"real failure" would look very similar).

So the first natural question would be, where are your
ldlinux.{e32,e64} located, in relation to your EFI{32,64}/syslinux.efi
files?

You mentioned "EFI BC" (architecture type 07). Have you tried with EFI
x64, architecture type 09?

Have you tried testing only one architecture at a time, without mixing
EFI IA32 with EFI x64? I mean, not mixing (and not conditioning) them
in config files nor in the actual Syslinux-related files in the server;
testing isolated configs and files for EFI IA32 _only_ and then
isolated configs and files for EFI x64 _only_.

Perhaps you could post your TFTP/DHCP/whatever configuration files?

Is there some setting in the VMWare products to configure which exact
type of firmware (BIOS / EFI IA32 / EFI x64) is being used/expected by
the VM?

A packet capture might be helpful.

I assume we are talking about Syslinux 6.03 official upstream binary
files, downloaded from kernel.org (as oppose to some package or
rebuild).

Regards,
Ady.