[syslinux] PXE Error Reporting

Sebastian Herbszt herbszt at gmx.de
Fri Jan 16 15:57:18 PST 2015

Hello Andreas,

Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 01/16/2015 12:19 AM, Sebastian Herbszt wrote:
> > Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> >> server replies with "Permission denied" for the kernel or initrd.
> > [...]
> >
> > The (almost untested) patch below should fix this.
>
> hmm, probably close but I still get the same "No such file or directory"
> error message.

which tftp server are you using? It seems to send error code 0 on EACCES
instead of 2.

> Also, should error codes other than 1 (File not found)
> and 2 (Access violation) not be mapped to something like EIO and not ENOENT?

We have the following possible error codes from RFC 1350

   0         Not defined, see error message (if any).
   1         File not found.
   2         Access violation.
   3         Disk full or allocation exceeded.
   4         Illegal TFTP operation.
   5         Unknown transfer ID.
   6         File already exists.
   7         No such user.

and 8 ("OACK failure") from RFC 1782.

I am not sure which ones are relevant for pxelinux. Maybe just map
them to EIO.

Sebastian