[syslinux] PXE Error Reporting

Andreas Gruenbacher agruenba at redhat.com
Sun Jan 18 09:20:24 PST 2015

Hi,

On 01/17/2015 12:57 AM, Sebastian Herbszt wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> The (almost untested) patch below should fix this.
>>
>> hmm, probably close but I still get the same "No such file or directory"
>> error message.
>
> which tftp server are you using? It seems to send error code 0 on EACCES
> instead of 2.

The last version I have tries was tftp-server-5.2-15.fc21.x86_64; it
replies with an ErrorCode of 0 and "Permission denied" as ErrMsg.

Is it important to get this fixed? Do other tftp server get this right?

>> Also, should error codes other than 1 (File not found)
>> and 2 (Access violation) not be mapped to something like EIO and not ENOENT?

I think it makes sense to distinguish between error codes 1, 2, and
everything else here:

   1 "File not found" -> ENOENT
   2 "Access Violation" -> EACCES
   Everything else -> EIO (or similar)

If the server provides an ErrMsg, reporting that seems to make sense as
well; at least it would have helped me in this case.

Thanks,
Andreas