[syslinux] DMARC test (request)

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 18 09:55:53 PST 2015

> Well I consider the search filter by subject is a much better approach,
> for participating on a conversation.

The Subject is not enough when you have several emails with the same
Subject entry, specially one right after the other. We are talking
about a Mailing List, and this situation is not uncommon.

> From a security point of view the logic says that the sender of an
> e-mail should not use other than its own e-address as sender; it is
> logic people out there (yahoo) not liking a service (list) that
> impersonates someone else.

I'm not going to discuss the security matter here, as we have no
control about it. Let me say (with no intention to open this for
useless debate) that if we *prohibit* the usage of cars (and/or
any-and-all kind of transportation aid) then we would probably see less
traffic, less pollution and less accidents :D.

> If the list sends a properly crafted e-mail coming from its own address
> and domain why do you think would be a problem?

There shouldn't be a problem, but there is, since Yahoo's change. As
already mentioned, the "From:" field is useful as it is now (and, FWIW,
I would be against changing it to something that would not easily
identify the original sender, and I know I am not the only one with
this opinion). If there is a way to keep _easily_ "showing" the
original sender in the "From:" field/column while also complying with /
adapting to Yahoo's policy, I'll welcome such solution.

> We should stop for a sec and think if what yahoo did was good or not to
> fight spammers; I think it was good. A list that impersonates a sender
> is not a good approach.

AFAIK, we were/are not discussing the security matters, or Yahoo's
current policy.

> Sure; I think we should adapt to this new situation.

Well, perhaps we should start by suggesting (e.g. in the "Contact" wiki
page?) for users to avoid Yahoo email addresses for the Syslinux
Mailing Lists (perhaps with some minimal comment about the reason or
some link to relevant info about the Yahoo policy change).

My prior email in this email thread was intended mainly for the List
Admins, so to report about the current tests (as requested). Replying
to these emails requires from me more effort than it should. So, with
regards to this email thread, please allow me to limit my replies just
to report about relevant changes only.

Thank you and Regards,
Ady.