[syslinux] DMARC test (request)

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 01:46:23 PST 2015

>> Well I consider the search
>> filter by subject is a much better approach,
>> for participating on a conversation.
>
> The Subject is not enough when you have several emails with
> the same
> Subject entry, specially one right after the other. We are
> talking
> about a Mailing List, and this situation is not uncommon.

I do follow topics; no people. If you do follow people I could understand
you otherwise I do not know why you need the original sender.

 >> If the list sends a properly crafted e-mail coming from
 >> its own address
 >> and domain why do you think would be a problem?
>
>> There shouldn't be a problem, but there is, since Yahoo's
> change.

Please; this is not the consequence of Yahoo's capricious behavior;
Yahoo is trying to fight spammers an I think what they did is plain right.

>As
> already mentioned, the "From:" field is useful as it is now
> (and, FWIW,
> I would be against changing it to something that would not
> easily
> identify the original sender, and I know I am not the only
> one with
> this opinion).

Yes you already said that but it's not completely
clear to me why you need the author as the sender...

> If there is a way to keep _easily_ "showing"
>the  original sender in the "From:" field/column while also
> complying with /
> adapting to Yahoo's policy, I'll welcome such solution.

You make it sound again like yahoo implementing a "crazy"
policy but I think you are just not seeing the big picture of this issue.
Your needs on this list should not be more important than the spamming issue.

I think probably the original sender could be somehow prepended by the list
to the e-mail body or just adding it as a signature in every distributed
e-mail then you can see who really sent a particular message.
Or probably appended to the subject if that does not disrupt the list
"sort by topic" capabilities.

I really cannot imagine you just filtering all the contributions made by some guy
on the list using the "From" field... why could you do that? how many other people
do that on the list?

>> We should stop for a sec and think if what yahoo did
>> was good or not to
>> fight spammers; I think it was good. A list that
>> impersonates a sender
>> is not a good approach.
 >
 >AFAIK, we were/are not discussing the security matters, or
 >Yahoo's
 >current policy.

Well, unfortunately we are impacted by both; then we
should consider the thing.

 >> Sure; I think we should adapt to this new situation.
 >
 >Well, perhaps we should start by suggesting (e.g. in the
 >"Contact" wiki
 >page?) for users to avoid Yahoo email addresses for the
 >Syslinux
 >Mailing Lists (perhaps with some minimal comment about the
 >reason or
 >some link to relevant info about the Yahoo policy change).

Probably I should not say this because I'm a Yahoo user and
it might sound biased, but I think yours is not a good approach;
what happens if tomorrow some other mayor e-mail provider
decides to implement similar measures? we are going to suggest
in the wiki page not to use XXX, YYY, and ZZZ e-mail providers??

Please do not consider my answers as an attack;
I'm just trying to make you see a different POV.

Best,
Patrick