[syslinux] PXE Error Reporting

Andreas Gruenbacher agruenba at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 07:12:59 PST 2015

On 01/21/2015 09:56 AM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 01/20/2015 02:45 PM, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, but people with such stupid requirements just shouldn't be
>> supported. The approach may look alright in a few specific scenarios at
>> the cost of everyone else.
>
> That is a pretty harsh statement.  That is effectively saying "my use
> case matters more than anyone else's."

Not really. As a security requirement, if this even really is anyone's
security requirement, this is pointless -- the ErrCode is set to 0 ("Not
defined") while the ErrMsg is still set to "Permission denied". The
server isn't making full use of the protocol at everyone's cost. That's
why it's a stupid idea, not because of conflicting but equally
justifiable requirements.

Andreas