[syslinux] UEFI/EFI booting and constantly asking for ldlinux.e64

Nelson, Ryan M. (ARC-TI)[SGT, INC] ryan.m.nelson at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 1 12:00:52 PDT 2015

On 7/1/2015 2:58 AM, Gene Cumm wrote:
>> I'm setting up UEFI booting and got to the point of having the system talk
>> >to the dhcpd/tftpd server, grab the first image files (syslinux.efi) and
>> >then continuously request the secondary image file (ldlinux.e64).
> So it appears to go deaf.
>
>> >I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if someone can point me in the
>> >right direction of trouble shooting this.
> 1) What version? In the 8 months since 6.03, there have been numerous
> commits that might resolve this.  Let me know if you need a set of
> test binaries.

It is version 6.03.  I will attempt to use the latest from the repo and
report back.

> 2) What's the system?  The sole system I have confirmation of a
> remaining EFI64 issue is a VMware VM with the e1000e NIC, in fact with
> similar symptoms.

The system is a Dell PowerEdge R730xd with 4 NICs:
Intel(R) Ethernet 10G 4P X520/I350 rNDC
Intel(R) Gigabit 4P X520/I350 rNDC

Current connection on the 10G port.

I have noticed something else a little weird via the UEFI setting for
the NIC's.  I seem to have to enable two NICs for PXE booting to even
successfully PXE boot.  When I do this the first NIC fails to boot and
the second works right away.  Doesn't matter which interface boots first
or which is plugged in.  I will probably open a ticket about this with
Dell, just thought it was a little weird.