[syslinux] UEFI/EFI booting and constantly asking for ldlinux.e64

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 1 12:56:11 PDT 2015

> On 7/1/2015 2:58 AM, Gene Cumm wrote:
> >> I'm setting up UEFI booting and got to the point of having the system talk
> > So it appears to go deaf.

> > 1) What version? In the 8 months since 6.03, there have been numerous
> > commits that might resolve this.  Let me know if you need a set of
> > test binaries.
>
> It is version 6.03.  I will attempt to use the latest from the repo and
> report back.
>

> > 2) What's the system?  The sole system I have confirmation of a
> > remaining EFI64 issue is a VMware VM with the e1000e NIC, in fact with
> > similar symptoms.
> >

> The system is a Dell PowerEdge R730xd with 4 NICs:
> Intel(R) Ethernet 10G 4P X520/I350 rNDC
> Intel(R) Gigabit 4P X520/I350 rNDC
>
> Current connection on the 10G port.
>
> I have noticed something else a little weird via the UEFI setting for
> the NIC's.  I seem to have to enable two NICs for PXE booting to even
> successfully PXE boot.  When I do this the first NIC fails to boot and
> the second works right away.  Doesn't matter which interface boots first
> or which is plugged in.  I will probably open a ticket about this with
> Dell, just thought it was a little weird.

Dell Server PowerEdge BIOS R730/R730-xd Version 1.3.6

It includes several updates; among them:

_ Removed unused setup options.
_ Fixed an issue where Mellanox network card would not commit PXE boot in UEFI mode
on Port 2.

I am not saying updating this firmware (still being call "BIOS" by Dell) will solve
any particular problem. It is just intended to show, once again, that checking for
firmware updates might be relevant when regards to booting.

Regards,
Ady.