[syslinux] EFI: PXE: "My IP is 0.0.0.0"

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 14 08:46:43 PDT 2015

 == build ==
 I built and used syslinux from https://github.com/ppatpat/syslinux
 (latest commit 43f5efa2db4a7880c7a2c6485d8fd8a64f0f33c3).

 On top of that I had to patch main.c. This had to be done to mitigate the following
 error when trying to 'make all': main.c:(.text+0x3b9): undefined reference to
 `BSWAP_64'

 More specifically I made this change:
 diff
 ../syslinux_ppatpat_orig/efi/main.c efi/main.c
 13a14
 > #include
 <byteswap.h>
 178c179
 <

 BSWAP_64(*(uint64_t*)&bguid->Data4),
 ---

<<<

Please consider my repository is only used to show the changes
and the affected files of a particular fix. Then it is probable some other
change/s might be needed in order to compile the code.

 This build of syslinux works on my HP
 ProLiant DL380 Gen9 server while netbooting from nic1 (not nic0) :-)

  == output booting pxe ==
 Don't know if it is useful, but
 I saw this output when booting from pxe over IPv4:
   NBP file
 downloaded successfully.
 Booting from: Acpi(PNP0A3,0)/Pci(1C|4)/Pci(0|1)/Mac(XXXXXXXXXXXX)/IPv4(not-done)
 Getting cached packet
 <<<

This is good news and it matches my results testing on a 2 NIC VMware client.

"Booting from: Acpi(PNP0A3,0)/Pci(1C|4)/Pci(0|1)/Mac(XXXXXXXXXXXX)/IPv4(not-done)"
gives you the ASCII representation of the booting "Device Path"; this way multi-NIC sytem users
can clearly identify the NIC really used for booting.
At the moment the DevicePath gets printed the IPv4 protocol has been resolved but for some reason
HP firmware does not correctly update the Device Path including the DHCP assigned IP.
I have also seen this in my Elitebook 2570p which displays IPv4(0.0.0.0). VMware clients
just do not display the IPv4 section at all (minor detail when we are really looking for NIC
hardware details).

 == output page-fault ==
 Sometimes (rarely) I get a Page-Fault Exception (red text). I
 haven't been able to track this issue down. Might be
 unrelated, but wanted to post it for completeness.
 X64 Exception Type 0E - Page-Fault Exception
 CALL
 ImageBase        ImageName+Offset 00h  0000000077283000 No Image Information

 Best
 regards,
 Sebastian
<<<

Were you ever getting this page-fault before (without this patch) ??
Mysteriously I also get (like you) a faulty boot in my 2570p
(1 out of 30+) I do not get any message, but this thing always happen
since the first time I compiled 6.03. VMware clients in the other hand never
present this fault...

Thanks for your report.

Best,
Patrick