[syslinux] PXE over WiFi

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 19:32:25 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 9:17 PM, Wayne Workman
<wayne.workman2012 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I must say that I've learned an incredible amount and only hope to learn
> more. Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

> I have been prowling your email correspondence for the FOG Project. You may
> find them here: https://fogproject.org/  and their forums are located here:
> https://forums.fogproject.org/
>
> I'm looking at how syslinux's future can play/how it plays now with FOG. I'm
> wondering if this technology can support WiFi based communications as the
> Etherboot project does.

Etherboot, gPXE and iPXE are mostly orthogonal to Syslinux.  Although
they may provide a menuing system, their real background is getting up
to at least a PXE-friendly environment that can be used by built-in
functionality or for loading another PXE NBP like PXELINUX.  I'd think
Syslinux also has a more extensible infrastructure.

As long as there's a suitable underlying API that PXELINUX can call,
it won't matter what Ethernet-like medium is underneath.

--
-Gene