[syslinux] [syslinux:firmware] efi: Add network support

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 06:07:49 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 6:47 AM, Patrick Masotta <masottaus at yahoo.com> wrote:

Matt, first and foremost, thanks for the reply.

>  >
>  > Why promiscuous?  That seems to want to accept it on any local address
>  > and put the NIC into promiscuous mode, avoiding the default MAC filter
>  > in the NIC.  This should be uncessary as we're not capturinig.
>
>  If I remember correctly, this was required for TFTP boot because
>  otherwise it's impossible to accept DHCP packets when we have no IP
>  address assigned. I'm not suggesting that is the intention of the AcceptPromiscuous
>  flag, only that it was the observed behaviour on my test machine.
>  <<<
>
> That's probably required by the DHCP layer within the FW,
> but whenever there's a TFTP transfer (either triggered by the FW or NBP)
> sure we must already have a defined IP then it shouldn't be necessary.

The DHCP DORA should have been handled by the underlying firmware long
before Syslinux started.

As I mentioned before, I think setting AllowPromiscuous breaks
UseDefaultAddress on some machines.

>  Then again, this was over 2 years ago and on a development platform.
>  This may not be required anymore.
>
>  As with all things related to UEFI there's a certain amount of "forget what the spec says and just
>  program to whatever the firmware *does*".
>
> Matt Fleming
> <<<
>
> I agree; UEFI is (still) a moving target.

An unfortunate situation.

Here's to hoping things are resolved (except for the obvious of
systems lacking an MNPSb to hand out a UDP4Sb and TCP4Sb).

--
-Gene