[syslinux] Looking for mkdosfs for Syslinux 1.67

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 16:54:31 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 3:18 PM, pat via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

> I guess...what I need is a 'mini unix'..that will boot from cd
> and run in ramdisk..without installing anything on the HD...
> (I first found this via a link on an old minds at work webpage)
> that also has dostools..that include, of course, mkdosfs.

You want a live Linux distro with recovery tools like dosfstools.

For recovery purposes, I've been using a personal respin of TinyCore
with specific extensions pre-loaded which can operate completely from
RAM (not just mounting a CD post-boot) with a relatively small RAM
footprint.  Years ago, I spun my own from RHL, then custom-built
binaries with uclibc, then RIPLinux and now TinyCore.  It's flexible
yet I can have a lot of basic tools while booting from USB, CD or PXE
and relatively up to date.  Mine is also modularized with multiple
initrd payloads (.cpio.gz files for INITRAMFS).

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Didier Spaier via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

> Try GParted:
> http://gparted.org/index.php

A good example that might be an excellent prebuilt choice.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 3:55 PM, H. Peter Anvin via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

> Yes.  Look into Knoppix or Fedora Live, for example.

More excellent examples, all depending on how much you want to load
and if you want to load completely to RAM versus having a CD
persistently mounted.

--
-Gene