[syslinux] EFI: HP + syslinux = crash

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 06:40:18 PDT 2015

 For the record: During the first tests, the System ROM is at version
 1.32 and the NIC Firmware is at version 2.13.5.

 The result for version 6.0.3 compiled from the tarball:

      >> Booting Embedded LOM 1
 Port 1 : HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331i Adapter      - NIC (PXE IPv4)

      >> Booting PXE over IPv4.
      Station IP address is 10.141.166.254

      Server IP address is 10.141.255.254
      NBP filename is efi64/syslinux-603.efi
      NBP filesize is 175848 Bytes
      Downloading NBP file...

      NBP file downloaded successfully.
      Getting cached packet
      My IP is 10.141.166.254
      core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
      core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
      core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
      core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
      core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
      core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
      core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
      core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
      core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
      core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
      core_tcp_connect: aborting on no mapping
      tcp close failed: 17

 So... this is EFI_NO_MAPPING. Is this very different from the
 EFI_NO_MEDIA I get when booting via iPXE?
<<<

very unlikely....
A complete wireshark traffic capture would be handy.
Are you trying to retrieve anything using http?

 Now I upgrade the System ROM to version 1.40 and the NIC
 Firmware to
 version 2.15.10. The results:

 Version 6.0.3 just reboots shortly after printing "My IP is %s".

 Version 8702009f still throws around various exceptions.
 <<<

Does it print "My IP is %s" ?? with that ending %s ?

 Quoting from a blog post the support site for HP:
 http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Reality-Check-Server-Insights/Learn-how-to-modify-a-Linux-based-PXE-server-to-support-HP/ba-p/179983
 > Unlike legacy BIOS systems, UEFI does not utilize pxelinux from the
 > syslinux package. UEFI requires a bootloader such as GRUB2 or ELILO.

 Does this mean HP thinks syslinux does not support UEFI at all?
 <<<

I think that guy is wrong; I think he meant