[syslinux] EFI: HP + syslinux = crash

Oscar Roozen oscar.roozen at brightcomputing.com
Fri Jul 31 07:22:40 PDT 2015

>[...]
>        NBP file downloaded successfully.
>        Getting cached packet
>        My IP is 10.141.166.254
>        core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
>        core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
>        core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
>        core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
>        core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
>        core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
>        core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
>        core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
>        core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
>        core_tcp_connect: stalling on configure with no mapping
>        core_tcp_connect: aborting on no mapping
>        tcp close failed: 17
>
>   So... this is EFI_NO_MAPPING. Is this very different from the
>   EFI_NO_MEDIA I get when booting via iPXE?
> <<<
>
> very unlikely....
> A complete wireshark traffic capture would be handy.

I will send you one directly. I can reveal now that it will not contain
any packets after it has downloaded syslinux.efi.

> Are you trying to retrieve anything using http?

Yes, so in this case syslinux has parsed the pathprefix and is about to
setup a http-connection to the server. If I leave out the pathprefix,
the errormessage changed to 'core_udp_connect: stalling on configure
with no mapping'. Looking at udp.c, the cause is also EFI_NO_MAPPING.

Unfortunately I can't test this any more, because since upgrading the
firmware, the machine just reboots right after printing "My IP is
10.141.166.254". Which is the correct IP by the way.

> Does it print "My IP is %s" ?? with that ending %s ?

No, sorry for the confusion. I was too lazy to type the full IP or reach
for the mouse to cut and paste it, so I paraphrased from the source. It
actually prints the IP there.

> I think that guy is wrong; I think he meant
>> EFI does not utilize pxelinux.0 from the syslinux package...

That's true. But unfortunately he continues with examples using only
ELILO and Grub2, so we don't know if yet syslinux works on HP gen9.