[syslinux] EFI: ipxe + syslinux = Failed to read blocks: 0xC

Oscar Roozen oscar.roozen at brightcomputing.com
Fri Jul 31 08:29:42 PDT 2015

>   Some magic in dhcpd.conf:
>
>          if option architecture-type = 00:09 {
>      filename "efi64/syslinux-87020-or.efi";
>          option pxelinux.pathprefix "http://bla/efi64/";
>          } elsif option
>   architecture-type = 00:07 {
>      filename "efi64/ipxe-git87981.efi";
>      } else {
>      filename "pxelinux.0";
>      }
> <<<
>
> I "think" in this case ipxe.efi probably "did not" chainload to pxelinux.efi
>
> When your HP booted arch=07 retrieved ipxe.efi
> ipxe.efi performs a new pxe "session" declaring arch=09
> but at the end it is the FW which loads and run now syslinux.efi.

Is this possible? Are you saying the FW is stealing the DHCP response
away before iPXE gets it?  I haven't thought of this possibility.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Since I'm having a hard time getting the FW to grok syslinux, I find it
surprising it gets this far. And I also have the same problem on my
virtual qemu/kvm/virtlib/ovmf setup where iPXE *IS* the firmware.

> it looks like iPXE might still have the chainloading issue

Which issue are you referring to?