[syslinux] chainloading syslinux from an EFI partition to an ext4

Stoppa, Igor igor.stoppa at intel.com
Sat Jun 6 04:14:52 PDT 2015

On 6 June 2015 at 14:03, Didier Spaier via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

> On 06/06/2015 12:19, Stoppa, Igor via Syslinux wrote:
>
>> So I'd like to not put all the kernels/initrds in it, because when I
>> update one of the OSes, I would also have to update the corresponding
>> kernel in the EFI partition.
>

> IIRC this is not possible (yet?) as kernels and initrd should lie in the ESP
> alongside the EFI image(s) and the config file. But I am not sure, so if I
> am wrong please someone correct me.

>From what I understood, that's what you want to do if you want the EFI syslinux
to boot your kernel, yes.
But.
What I'm trying to do is to have the EFI bootloader to chainload an
ext4 partition
where I have installed extlinux. The kernels and initrd lie alongside
the extlinux bootloader.

In a more schematic way:

1) the EFI BIOS loads the EFI syslinux
2) the EFI syslinux chainloads the extlinux that is on a separate partition
3) the extlinux loads the kernel & initrd that are colocated in the
same directory

point 2 is failing

I hope this is more clear than my previous, long, post :-)

--
igor