[syslinux] chainloading syslinux from an EFI partition to an ext4

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 7 11:48:59 PDT 2015

 (snip)

> > As per the intended setup, it is not possible. There are several
> > reasons for such impossibility.
>
> Could you elaborate a bit more? What are the impediments?

 (snip)

> --
> igor

Posting an explanation for every current impediment (as of v.6.03) and,
optionally, potential future improvements, would take (me) some (long)
time, it would be boring to read, and it would not actually bring you
to a realistic working solution of your attempted setup.

The most basic problem with your attempted setup, IMHO, is that
initially you want to boot with a UEFI bootloader (syslinux.efi) in
UEFI mode - that's fine - but then you want to chain to a BIOS
bootloader (EXTLINUX, ldlinux.sys).

As of version 6.03, Syslinux in UEFI systems lacks many
potentially-useful features (e.g. chainloading another EFI tool). I
would tend to think that chainloading from one (U)EFI firmware
architecture to a BIOS-based bootloader would probably be a low
priority for developers (if it would be ever possible).

Regarding the alternative, loading kernels located in other partitions
(and using different file systems), there have been some attempts to
add such feature to Syslinux (this is not as an easy task as some
people might think). I guess that the suggested patches might be
evaluated at some point, but I am going to assume (as an educated
guess) that it will take more time than you are willing to wait.

Throughout this email thread, there have been some comments about the
possibility to boot Windows and Linux, both being located in the same
physical device, and (for some unknown reason) not willing to use the
ESP for kernels. These conditions might add complexity; whether
unnecessarily or not, I don't know.

Since I was asked to expand on my prior reply, I should modify my
initial qualification from "impossible" (which I used as an exaggerated
short description so to convey the very low probability to be
successful in your attempted setup and conditions while using Syslinux
v.6.03) to some other qualifier. How about: "hopefully it will be
possible in some future version, using some alternative method"?

Regards,
Ady.