[syslinux] EFI and proxyDHCP: setups

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 17:19:03 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Patrick Masotta <masottaus at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   Patrick, I think I've been able to figure out some missing details
>  about your VMware Workstation tests.  For a proxyDHCP,
>  I'm using dnsmasq.  Could you try to confirm your test was the
>  same basic setup?
>
>  On VMware Workstation 10 with a VMHWv10 VM set to EFI
>  firmware for x64, I've been able to get mixed results, depending on if agateway is provided.
>
> With a VMHWv9 VM, I see what appear to be the issues you see.
>
>  VMHWv10, NAT: Boot Service Discover (a BOOTP style request)
>  sent to the wrong MAC address (MAC address of gateway)
>
>  VMHWv10, Host-Only, 6.03: success
>
>  VMHWv9, NAT: Same as VMHWv10
>
>  VMHWv9, Host-Only, 6.03: Syslinux appears deaf; no ARP
>  response, no TFTP acknowledgement after receiving the first packet of a
>  file request.
>
>  VMHWv9, Host-Only, Commit 81eeaa3: Same as 6.03.
>
>  --
>  -Gene
> <<<
>
> Are you testing with the patch applied or without?
> As clients I'm using Workstation 10 VMs (32/64bit) and a real Toshiba notebook.
> When the client is a VM the DHCP server is VMware's, When the client is a real
> notebook the DHCP server is an external Netgear router. In any case the proxyDHCP is Serva.
>
> Best,
> Patrick

It appears I was unclear about which I suspected as being similar to
your tests, specifically VMHWv9 on the Host-Only network.  It is
possible that on Windows or with the Serva application, things act
differently.

Commit 81eeaa3 contains the variant of your patch that I thought I had
talked about.

https://github.com/geneC/syslinux.git
git://github.com/geneC1/syslinux.git

https://github.com/geneC/syslinux/commit/81eeaa3ea93ef124d4308f622ee29673e534dc0c

I'm going to be trying your patch as-is next but I'm doubting it'll
influence things.

--
-Gene