[syslinux] git repo: primary/secondary/unofficial

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 13 12:44:11 PDT 2015

> I'm starting this thread to discuss what git repository should be
> designated as primary and which repositories should be designated as
> secondary.
>
> For years, git.kernel.org has been the primary repo, updated at least
> with every full and pre- release.  git.zytor.com has been the
> secondary and development repo.
>
> Additionally, I've maintained my repos at github.com and git.zytor.com
> as unofficial repos with the master branch on each following the
> official repos which I expect to stay this way.
>
> --
> -Gene

I don't know about primary / secondary / unofficial, but I would like
to mention some points for consideration.

1_ repo.or.cz currently uses a web interface similar to the
gitweb-caching interface that was used in git.zytor.com until 2014Oct.
This might not be very important for developers, but it might be
relevant for others (myself included).

2_ repo.or.cz is already being used by NASM, and by some contributors.

3_ github.com has the possibility of "wiki" and "issues". This sounds
as a potential advantage, but it might be a burden. There are not
enough resources (time, developers, contributors...) to maintain yet
another contact channel. Moreover, having multiple channels for the
same objective (bugs, wiki, tracking patches, optionally "linking"
between them...) is probably not such a good idea.

4_ The current bugzilla for Syslinux is not very well maintained.
Should a different method / site be considered _instead_ of it? Should
an _additional_ method / site be considered as optional alternative?

5_ github.com is popular. Would having a github repo attract additional
valuable developers (with the adequate skills)? Or would it result in
more maintenance than it would be worth?

6_ I would tend to think that the current 2 official repositories
should be kept (in addition to whatever results from this discussion
and efforts), not replaced.

7_ There are other prospects in existence.

8_ For any of the potential prospects, actions should be taken so "The
Syslinux Project" could acquire official ownership / privileges /
permissions.

Regards,
Ady.