[syslinux] Alternate git repo

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Jun 14 13:24:13 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 10:27:59PM -0400, Gene Cumm via Syslinux wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Sebastian Herbszt <herbszt op gmx.de> wrote:
> > Gene Cumm wrote:
> >> Recently there have been discussions off-list about using another repo
> >> as the primary repository, repo.or.cz in particular. Considering the
> >> issues until recently with git.zytor.com and the situation with
> >> git.kernel.org along with the fact I already push to multiple repos, I
> >> think this may be a good time to look at maintaining multiple official
> >> repos that are pushable.
> >
> > What's the situation with git.kernel.org?
>
> I currently have access to push to the official repo at git.zytor.com
> but not git.kernel.org.  It's my understanding that getting me access
> to git.kernel.org would take quite a bit of effort, approvals, and
> probably exceptions.

It boils down to: git.kernel.org is for Linux kernel hackers.
For Peter Anvin, founder of Syslinux, is that fine. He is also
a kernel hacker.

So for Syslinux needs a new "home" be found.

> >> As it stands, repo.or.cz has a repo that's a mirror-mode (not
> >> pushable) created by Sebastian Herbszt, a past contributor.  There's
> >> also a namespace on github.com that could be used.
> >
> > Still lurking around.
>
> I figured that was likely the case.
>
> >> hpa/Matt, with your permission I'd like to work on your behalf to get
> >> both of these prepared and up to date.
> >
> > Just contact me if any action is required on my part.
>
> Thanks.  The unfortunate part of switching from mirror-mode is that
> the current would have to be renamed (if that's even possible) or
> deleted.

I think that needs to be rewritten into actual commands / statements.
I take a shot:

 * Sebastian: convert repo.or.cz Syslinux repo from "mirror" to "push-able"

A "please" is implied and an expliciet "please" is now included  :-)

The effort is important because it avoids giving github to much power.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven