[syslinux] EFI: PXE: "My IP is 0.0.0.0"

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 12:10:18 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 2:54 AM, S. Schauenburg <s.schauenburg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Gene,
>
> thanks a lot for your patch! It doesn't work yet, but I have some more
> information.
>
> Before the patch, the boot sequence ended with the following:
>   NBP file download successfully.
> Getting cached packet
> My IP is 0.0.0.0
>
> After the patch it ended with the following (note that the IP is the same as
> the Station IP address):
>   NBP file download successfully.
> LibLocateHandle returned nr 8
> Handle [0] gave -3 00000000
> Handle [1] gave -3 00000000
> Handle [2] gave 0 0ad402a7
> Getting cached packet
> My IP is 10.212.2.167
>
> Greetings,
>

> Sebastian
>
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 8:48 PM, Gene Cumm via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Starting a new thread for the moment and BCCing the two reporters of the
>> > issue.
>> >
>> > Looking over the code, I think I finally see why we get junk data from
>> > the PXE base.  If we tell the PXE base that a buffer is 0 bytes long,
>> > we should expect junk/null data.
>> >
>> > I'm hoping to have a patch for testing over the weekend.  If either of
>> > you would rather start a bug on the bugzilla, feel free.
>>
>> Attached are a patch and a limited set of test binaries.  Patch is
>> relative to 38e861eb.  This should give more indication to the EFI PXE
>> "My IP is 0.0.0.0" issue.

Looks like the patch mostly addresses the initial search to find the
right handle for PXE.  I think I found the remaining source of the
issue (the part that's generating the handle->Configure() messages).
I'm trying to read through pieces of the EFI spec, gnu-efi API, and a
few other sources.  I'm pretty certain you'll see that the previous
patch/binaries are sending packets that _should_ be sent on NIC1 out
NIC0.

--
-Gene