[syslinux] EFI: PXE: "My IP is 0.0.0.0"

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 09:51:41 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Patrick Masotta <masottaus at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Commit 23b2707 should resolve this.  Please
>  let me know if you need
>  test binaries
>
>  --
>  -Gene
>  <<<
>

> 1)  About the Service Binding protocols, PXE protocol, etc having the same handle# is clear if we
> see that the number is in fact the "Device Handle" supporting all those protocols.
> (clearly said at UEFI_Driver_Writer_Guide_V1.0.1_120308.pdf)

It's a handle to the device that loaded Syslinux, in this case a NIC
plus IP-stack (IPv4 or IPv6).

> 2) about your last commit
> 2.1) I think I found a couple of issues check them corrected at
> https://github.com/ppatpat/syslinux/
>
>   a) a missing return; on an error condition at efi/pxe.c\net_parse_dhcp()
>   b) you close a protocol before creating its child at efi/main.c\efi_create_binding()

Rewrote the commit messages and it's in at commit ID 5186539

> 2.2) I think "image_DeviceHandle" instead of "pxe_DeviceHandle" produces a code easier to follow;
> specially when we end up using that handle to create a TCP4 or UDP4 child...

Not all handles are devices but all usable devices have handles.  The
image_handle is a type EFI_LOADED_IMAGE_PROTOCOL, not a device.
pxe_handle could perhaps be renamed as nic_handle or device_handle.

--
-Gene