[syslinux] EFI: PXE: "My IP is 0.0.0.0"

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 27 10:17:32 PDT 2015

 It's a handle to the device that loaded Syslinux, in this case a NIC
 plus IP-stack (IPv4 or IPv6).
 <<<

Yes it is the handle of the device (NIC) that loaded syslinux
plus IP stack (as you said) but also all the attached Service Binding Protocols,
PXE Protocol, and some more. All of them sharing the same device handle.

> 2.2)
> I think "image_DeviceHandle" instead of
> "pxe_DeviceHandle" produces a code easier to follow;
> specially when we end up using
> that handle to create a TCP4 or UDP4 child...

 Not all handles are devices but all usable devices have handles.  The
 image_handle is a type EFI_LOADED_IMAGE_PROTOCOL, not a device.
 pxe_handle could perhaps be renamed as nic_handle or device_handle.

 --
 -Gene
 <<<

We already have "image_handle" that (as you say) corresponds to the EFI_LOADED_IMAGE_PROTOCOL
I think that "image_DeviceHandle" would clearly represent the DeviceHandle associated to the loaded image.
I use "image_DeviceHandle" in my codebase; if you call it nic_handle or device_handle you miss the
association with the current loaded image. Just my 2 cents; not big deal on this.

Best,
Patrick