[syslinux] boot... round 2

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 13:52:44 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 4:29 PM, poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:

> "A real serial port that can reliably operate at 115200 8n1 may be
> necessary."
>
> Gene, is there something special in "A real serial port" usage, compared to emulated?

I should restate: A serial port that responds on BIOS IO port 3F8h
that can reliably operate at 115200 8n1 may be necessary.  A USB
serial port that the BIOS doesn't bother setting up for IO port 3F8h
is just random hardware.

In order to utilize it, the serial port should not be utilized for
normal use (mixing gets ugly) and a special build must be made by
changing mk/devel.mk (although it's been a while).  Lines 3 and 4 must
be uncommented and line 5 must be commented out.  Booting such a build
may take a long time while data is pumped over the serial.

Although perhaps not helpful in this case, I'd normally suggest a
simpler config like the following:

#syslinux.cfg-begin
DEFAULT linux
PROMPT 1

LABEL linux
  LINUX vmlinuz
  APPEND initrd=myinitrd.cgz my-options
#syslinux.cfg-end

The sole use such a simpler config could serve in this instance is to
minimize the serial-debug data generated by a working build to compare
against a broken build.

--
-Gene