[syslinux] Problems PXE booting syslinux.efi on HP EliteBook 2560p / 8460p

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 12 07:01:08 PDT 2015

> >_ If similar newer HW can boot correctly,
> >perhaps requesting from HP to
> >release updated firmware versions for those systems that
> >are failing might help?
> >
> I think we are aiming in the right direction here,
> unfortunately HP (and other vendors) only update firmware bugs
> when either heavily impacting functionality or security.

Not being able to boot should probably qualify as good reason for HP to
update the firmware, IMHO.

To be clear, I am not discarding the possibility of a bug in Syslinux.
Perhaps the specific HW and the specific firmware version is just
triggering a bug in Syslinux, instead of suggesting a bug in the
firmware version.

FWIW, the following statement can be found in HP's website with regards
to some newer firmware version for some HP HW:

- Fixes an intermittent issue where a system with the LAN/WLAN
switching feature enabled in the F10 BIOS menu stops functioning
properly (hangs) at POST after a warm boot.

Is it possible that the reported network boot behavior is different
between cold-boot and warm-boot?

At any rate, and considering several reports about different HP
hardware failing to boot syslinux.efi, I would tend to think that
contacting HP and requesting an updated firmware release could be
helpful.

FWIW, there are (recent) patches in gnu-efi that were originated by
developers somewhat related to (or working for) HP. This might be
another hint to both, using an updated gnu-efi submodule and/or needing
an updated firmware from HP for these failing systems.

> >_ I guess that pcap reports might help for
> >additional debugging (whether to find a
> >workaround or to find a potential bug in Syslinux)?
> >
> In my case there is not a relevant pcap file;
> syslinux.efi gets perfectly transferred and when it tries to get
> ldlinux.e64 it fails locating the Binding Service for UDP4, before
> aborting w/o generating any additional traffic.

Let's see what kind of info or tests the Syslinux's devs. would need
for troubleshooting the particular hardware.

> >_ I am guessing that these
> >systems are actually using UEFI x86_64. If
> >they are not, then this would be a potential reason for strange
> >behaviors regarding syslinux.efi and ldlinux.e64.
> >
> All my tests were conducted on 64 bit HP hardware using UEFI x86_64 firmware.

I would guess that CSM mode is actually verified to be set to "off"
(i.e. UEFI mode), among others ("secure boot", "fast boot", "whichever
fancy name" boot...). Sometimes some minor setting that was overlooked
can be the cause of wasting hours of troubleshooting.

> Best,
> Patrick

Regards,
Ady.