[syslinux] Common problems wiki page WAS: patch for UEFI PXE booting bugs

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue May 5 06:39:31 PDT 2015

> I understand a Linux kernel must be built including certain specific parameters
> when booted by syslinux.efi but sure you already know that.
> Which kernel/distro is giving you problems? I'm also interested in failing kernels.
> It would be nice having a wiki page with all the known failing kernels (can this be done Adi?)

Take a look at the "Common problems" page.

Sometimes the problem with Syslinux 6.03 is the kernel (relocatable, or
not, we have seen several issues, under both UEFI and BIOS systems).

Sometimes updating the BIOS / UEFI firmware can solve some booting
problems. After the update, cleaning the "BIOS" info and then
reconfiguring it anew is necessary to really see the potential
improvements.

Some UEFI systems can be tricky with their real supported architecture,
and there are those that are not prepared to run anything but the
built-in original OS (unless some kind of hacking is involved).

Check that the kernel is configured with the following:
CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=y
CONFIG_EFI=y
CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y
CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y

Sometimes the Syslinux configuration is not adequate enough. For
troubleshooting, I would suggest using DEFAULT with a label, no global
APPEND, using PROMPT 1, no timers, and no menu of any kind; no "quiet"
nor "vga=current" parameters (nor similar / equivalents ones) either.

And then we have the patches for Syslinux after the official release of
v.6.03, some of them still pending-for-review.

For these and more suggestions:

 http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems

Regards,
Ady.