[syslinux] isohybrid and ISO images whose size is not a multiple of 2048 bytes vs. VirtualBox

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu May 7 12:38:42 PDT 2015

> Ady via Syslinux wrote (07 May 2015 18:09:21 GMT) :
> > In these first days of Debian Jessie,
>
> FYI, Tails is still based on Debian 7 (Wheezy). Worse case, Tails
> based on Debian 8 (Jessie) will be out early next year. Best case, I'd
> say around November this year.
>
> > I don't know whether TAILS will still be using the isohybrid tool of
> > Syslinux, or the isohybrid features of xorriso.
>
> So far, we have never looked into xorriso's isohybrid features, and
> have been quite happy with the (C version of) isohybrid provided by
> the syslinux project. Also, personally I feel welcome on this
> mailing-list, and have no experience with the xorriso community.
> I'm not aware of any plans for Tails to move to xorriso's
> isohybrid features.
>
> Cheers!
> --
> intrigeri

Well, Thomas (who wrote the patch for isohybrid you were referring to)
is the developer of xorriso, so you are in good hands :).

BTW, you mentioned that the size of the resulting isohybrid image of
TAILS 1.4-RC is 962357760 bytes.

962357760 / (32*64) = 469901.25
962357760 / (255*63) = 59904

Considering that 469901.25 is already not a multiple of 512 (bytes per
virtual sector), my guess is that TAILS 1.4-RC was built with 255 / 63,
in spite of not being bigger than 1GiB. Building it with 64 / 32 (i.e.
changing the parameters in the isohybrid command line) should avoid the
problem, at least this time.

Regards,
Ady.