[syslinux] isohybrid and ISO images whose size is not a multiple of 2048 bytes vs. VirtualBox

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Thu May 7 13:14:42 PDT 2015

Hi,

Ady via Syslinux wrote (07 May 2015 19:38:42 GMT) :
> Considering that 469901.25 is already not a multiple of 512 (bytes per
> virtual sector), my guess is that TAILS 1.4-RC was built with 255 /
> 63,

Yes, we've been using -h 255 -s 63 for all our ISO images since the
first time we've gone over 1GB. Since then we've managed to get our
current main dev branch back under 1GB (thanks to crazy XZ compression
options), but Tails/Jessie will most likely be above 1GB. My take on
it is that using the same h/s settings for all our ISO images avoids
one possible source of discrepancies and hard-to-debug problems.

> in spite of not being bigger than 1GiB. Building it with 64 / 32 (i.e.
> changing the parameters in the isohybrid command line) should avoid the
> problem, at least this time.

Thanks! I'll trust you on that one. However, changing this setting
between our RC and the final release feels risky to me, especially
since we won't have time to validate the new settings on a wide-enough
range of hardware in time. This kind of processes take weeks, not
days :(

Cheers,
--
intrigeri